Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Mullangi Sambar/ Radish Sambar

Sambar is a lentil-based vegetable stew made with tamarind popular in South India. I like my sambar with any one of the vegetables as the base - that way the sambar gets the taste and aroma of that vegetable. I made this last evening and the kids loved it with some okra fry and some chips on the side. I was making it after along time since my kids didn't like the smell of Mullangi (ముల్లంగి Telugu, मूली Hindi) when I made it awhile ago. Specially Adi is really picky and doesn't like trying new things. He said "super amma" and I was really happy.  

Preparation time - 45 min

Serving 6-8 people

Ingredients  
250gm Radish
1 small Tomato
1 small Onion (sliced lenght wise)
2 green chillies   
1 1/2 cups Toor dal 
1/4 Tsp Turmeric powder 
1 small lemon size Tamarind 
1 1/2 Tsp Sambar powder
Jaggery a pinch
Salt to taste

 For Seasoning (Popu)

1 tsp Cooking oil
1/2 tsp urad dal
1/4 tsp methi seeds
2-3 pinches Hing/ asafetida 
1-2 red chillies
1/4 Turmeric powder
Curry leaves few
coriander leaves to garnish 

Procedure
  1. Soak the tamirind and extract the juice.
  2. Peel the radish, cut it in half and cut it in to 1/2 inch semi circles.
  3. Pressure cook the toor dal with 2 cups of water for 3 whistles on medium flame . I place the radish is a seperate dish and pressure cook it with the turemeric powder.
  4. In a pan, heat oil and splutter mustard seeds, methi seedss, red chillies and asafetida.Then add the onions slices, green chilles, curry leaves, turmeric, sambar powder and saute till onions turn transperent.
  5. Add the tamarind extract, salt, jaggery and boil for 2-3 minutes.
  6. Mash the pressure cooked toor dal mix in the radish and add it to the pan.
  7.  If the mixture is to thic then add some water. 
  8. Now let it all simmer together for 8-10 minutes.
  9. Garnish with coriander leaves.


Enjoy this with hot rice. I also use this as a side for idly or dosa. I like my sambar a little thick but u can adjust the water depending on the consistency u like.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment