Tuesday, March 22, 2016

My 60 Day Juice Fast

The last time I ate solid food was Sixty days back!  

Ok, I will give you some context. Almost every other day I would look up on the Internet on how to lose weight, diet plans, exercise, etc. In early January, I found something that changed my life forever. I watched a documentary called Fat Sick and Nearly Dead by Joe Cross. I was really inspired and told my husband all about juicing and how good it is to drink a lot of juices and how we should buy a juicer immediately. My poor husband is very patient with me every time I come up with some crash diets like this (pm me if you want to find out :). 

After watching Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, and going through a lot of success stories and videos I decided to try this. I ordered my Omega Vert350 from amazon. I was not at all sure if i will be able to do this so I convinced my husband and bought a refurbished one for $200 where the new one is around $400. I was all determined as always and started on January 23. I have to mention here that the last two days before I started I ate a lot of my favorite foods (dishes that I thought I will miss while fasting).

The first day was the most difficult day for me because I had to drive my daughter for a class which was around 40 miles from home. I was exhausted and tired when I got back home and had a severe headache. I was so miserable that I thought I would quit. I just ended the day quickly and went to bed. My hubby went to the market and stocked the fridge with vegetables and fruits. The second day was pretty good, all I was thinking of was to drink every 3 hours and what juice can i make. It worked out well. The first few days we would go to the market almost every other day for some fruit or vegetable. Later, we kind of figured how much we want and also knew where to buy. Luckily we have two farmer's markets very close to where we live. My juices were mostly 80% vegetables and 20% fruits. On some days, when I felt really low or needed some motivation I just made myself a feel good juice. I will share my juice recipes soon. At the end of the first week, I lost almost 9 pounds and felt great. I had energy like never before and was happy about what I was doing.



I wanted to go for 60 days but was not sure how long it will go. I took each day as it came and was just focusing on completing that day. I added some coconut water to my juicing, about 16 oz a day and also one caffeine free tea. I learned that I should carry water, coconut water and hot water for tea wherever I go.

I wanted to start blogging from the very beginning but was not sure how long I will go. Now that I see the finish line, I decided to write about my experience. Along the way, the fasting experience transformed from weight management into a journey of self discovery. It did not hurt that I also lost a few pounds in the process :)


P.S: I have to mention here that my family thinks that I cooked my best during the past 60 days. May be I was living vicariously through others - LOL. I was always interested in making healthy and yummy food at home but this fasting journey inspired me to work on my food blog - Veggie Psyche. Check it out!



22 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nithya, that is an awesome achievement. Looking forward to your juice recipes yo incorporate in our diet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspiring NITYA , looking forward to see more posts from you .although,I am more interested in the yummy things you cooked for the family than the juice recipes ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! you encouraged me n helped me get to the finish line

      Delete
  4. Very inspiring NITYA , looking forward to see more posts from you .although,I am more interested in the yummy things you cooked for the family than the juice recipes ��

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG (wide-eyed in shock) I am so proud of you NithyA! Way to go girl! So inspired to try this out. I have a Vitamix and try to drink a green smoothie everyday more from the angle of being healthy as I have a poor immune system. I am challenged with coming up with recipes and looks like you have been extremely successful at it. Would love to hear them! Keep the revolution on (clapping)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ramya! One juice or smoothie is good to get all the veggies and fruits you need for the day.

      Delete
  6. Way to go Nithya.An inspiring read.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Nithya.do share ur recipes even I would love to try

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Nithya.do share ur recipes even I would love to try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Pinni will post the recipes on this blog soon..

      Delete
  9. Congrats Nitya . Really very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. నువ్వు సూపర్ అహే

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice blog Nithya. You look great too. Please share us juice recipes and also your chart how you followed. This will help us more. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good going nitya. It's not easy job to replace the regular diet plan with only juices.All the best. Please post the receipies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey upload before and after pics here.then this can go places.

    ReplyDelete
  14. so al r waiting 4 ur diet juices including me .come shoot out .good achievement

    ReplyDelete